Monday, September 25, 2017

Gluten Free Brownies With Masa Harina Recipe


I adapted this recipe from a recipe I found on Yammie's Gluten Freedom blog. You can see her recipe here. She has a ton of gluten free and allergy sensitive recipes. My sister is the one who told me about Yammie's blog. She has followed her for several years now. Yammie's main blog is called Yammie's Noshery where she posts not only gluten free, but all kinds of delicious recipes. She takes many enticing photographs of her foods. They make your mouth water. :)

Here are some changes I made to the original recipe:

#1. The original recipe calls for brown and white sugar. I only buy white sugar (well actually it is a minutely less refined, non-GMO, cane sugar) so I added some molasses to the recipe to make up for the lacking brown sugar.

#2. I added a pinch of salt.

#3. I added masa harina. The original recipe doesn't call for any kind of flour and I felt like I would like to have a little filler ingredient in my brownies. Masa harina is a prepared corn flour commonly used for making corn tortillas. I usually have some on hand. It is sold it the Mexican food section of grocery stores. Our Aldi even carries it!

#4. I omitted the chocolate chips and nuts in the original recipe. I'm sure they would taste good, but I didn't have any in the pantry. I think the brownies turned out great without the nuts or chocolate chips. I couldn't tell I was missing anything. :)


Gluten Free Brownies With Masa Harina

1 cup sugar
1 heaping teaspoon molasses
Pinch of salt
3/8 cup (1/4 cup + 2 TBS.) vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1/2 masa harina
3/4 cup cocoa powder

In a mixing bowl combine sugar, molasses, salt, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Whip with a whisk on high speed for 2 minutes or until mixture is glossy.
Add masa and cocoa powder, and stir until combined.
Pour into a greased 8"×8" pan or 7"×9" pan.
Bake in a preheated 350° F. oven for 25 minutes.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds delicious! I should put one of the children up to making these soon and give a report back :)